Monday, May 7, 2007

Desayuno Tipico

Submitted by Steve
A few years back, my friends and I made a trip to Manuel Antonio National Park in Costa Rica, a beautiful Pacific rainforest. Besides the monkeys that try to steal your socks and poisonous frogs the color of crayons, what I remember most is what I was served for breakfast each morning.

Desayuno Tipico--the "typical breakfast"--is so aptly named, that you have to wonder if someone at Denny's should take a trip down south and rewrite their menu. (Moons Over My Hammy? Are they sure that isn't an episode of Loony Toons?). For the Manuel Antonio Costa Rican, Desayuno Tipico is a serving of scrambled eggs, sausage, corn tortillas, a green tomato-based sauce, and an amazing sour cream. The combination of which is brilliant in its simplicity. I think the secret is in the corn tortillas, but I've never had breakfast

No comments: